Vegan Pumpkin Pie Recipe26 September 2018
If you are not into using egg replacers or don’t want to buy The Plant Based egg, you can leave it out, or use another brand equal to 1 egg or nothing at all, just the cornstarch is fine but I do like the addition of the PBE here as it really gives it that authentic “egg binding” that the traditional pie offers.
Using just the cornstarch as the binder alone will work just fine, but again I think the PBE adds a certain smoothness to the final custard.
- For the Pie Dough:
- All Purpose Flour 2 cups (250g)
- Sugar 2 Tablespoons (28g)
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Vegan Butter Cold 6 Tablespoons
- Shortening or Solid Coconut Oil 4 Tablespoons
- Liquid Vegetable or Coconut Oil 2 Tablespoons
- Cold Water 3 Tablespoons (90ml)
- For the Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- Canned Pumpkin 1¾ cup
- Light Brown Sugar ¼ cup (50g)
- Cornstarch 2½ Tablespoons (25g)
- Plant Based Egg 1 teaspoon (2.5g) *Please read blog post above for more on this ingredient
- Maple Syrup 3 Tablespoons (90ml)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- Cinnamon ¾ teaspoon
- Ground Ginger ½ teaspoon
- Ground Nutmeg ¼ teaspoon
- Ground Cloves ⅛ teaspoon
- Almond Milk ¾ cup (177ml)
- Vegan Butter Or Coconut Oil Melted 2 Tablespoons (28g)
- For the pie dough first get the vegan butter and shortening or coconut oil to the freezer while you measure the rest of the ingredients.
- Combine the flour, salt, sugar in a food processor (or you can mix the entire recipe by hand with a pastry cutter or fork) process to distribute the ingredients evenly.
- Add the cold vegan butter and the shortening or coconut oil and process until it is mealy and course crumbly texture.
- Add the cold water and the oil through the feed tube while pulsing and then process until a soft crumbly dough forms.
- Turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and gather the dough together to a soft ball that stays together.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for an hour to relax the dough and allow the flour to absorb through.
- Once chilled, roll the dough on a lightly floured surface (this dough is much easier to roll between 2 pieces of parchment or wax paper) to about 12″ diameter (¼” thick) and line your pie plate. Trim the excess and re-roll to cut out the optional leave shapes to adorn the rim of the pie.
- Poke holes in the bottom of the pie dough with a fork and blind bake in a preheated 350ªFoven for 12-15 minutes on a pizza stone (*optional but really helpful for a nice color bottom crust)
- For the pumpkin pie filling, combine all the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and whisk smooth.
- Pour into the pie crust and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, cool completely and then refrigerate to set before serving.
Pumpkin Pie should be kept refrigerated and will stay fresh for up to 5 days